What is a 4R Winnipeg Depot?
A 4R Winnipeg Depot:
- is a place where residents can drop off material that they no longer have a use for, but could be recycled, reused, composted, or resold,
- is larger and accepts more materials than the existing recycling depots.
The first 4R Winnipeg Depot is located at the Brady Road Resource Management Facilty.
The second location will be on Pacific Avenue. Construction begins Spring 2016.
What are the benefits of the 4R Winnipeg Depots?
The 4R Winnipeg Depots:
- are convenient “one stop shops” where residents can drop off materials that would otherwise be landfilled to be resold, recycled, composted, or reused,
- provide residents with more options to reduce and recycle,
- keep more garbage out of the landfill, which means less harmful landfill gas.
The list of accepted materials will continue to evolve and expand overtime as agreements with partner organizations are in place. We recommend that you check our list of acceptable materials before coming to the 4R Winnipeg Depot to ensure we keep as many materials out of the landfill as we can.
On June 23, 2010, City Council asked the Public Service to prepare a comprehensive waste management plan for the entire city to increase our waste diversion rate to 50% or more by reducing household garbage and significantly increasing household recycling.
On October 19, 2011, Council approved the Garbage and Recycling Master Plan. This plan included the construction of up to four community recycling centres. The recycling centres, called 4R Winnipeg Depots, will accept materials that can be diverted away from the landfill by being either resold, recycled, composted, or reused.